Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] zsh

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Keith Marshall wrote:

>> So the mingw part is useless (imho).
>
> Well, the mingw32 build of bzip2 is there because I needed the native
> library build for mingw-get, (the new installer Chuck mentioned).
> You get the rest as a side effect of building the library, but the
> modular packaging allows you to choose whether or not to deploy
> those components you may not need.
>
> The MSYS build is there because Chuck, (and the other developers of
> MSYS), need it for their packages.
>
>> There are, also, completely outdated
>> versions of the autotools eg. Why keeping them ?
>
> Mainly because SF never throws anything away, even when it has become
> obsolete.  Yes, the download site could benefit from reorganisation,
> but we are all reluctant to embark on that exercise, given SF's
> penchant for messing it up again, with yet another unilaterally
> imposed change in site design.

isn't there something better than SF for files hosting ?

>> I prefer having more than not enough. And seriously, the amount of
>> space taken by these small tools is ridiculously small compared to
>> the size of hard disks sold nowadays.
>>
>>> they get exactly what
>>> Earnie decided should be in the "MSYS DTK" over seven years ago.
>>
>> That's another problem. To have a new version, one should wait
>> *years*.
>
> And for as long as you demand monolithic package collections,

I don't exactly demand a monolithic installer. I demand an installer,
something simple, that can install what i need when I port linux libs/apps
to Windows. Monolithic or not, it's up to you.

> you
> will be obliged to wait all those years between releases.  The most
> significant benefit of the modular approach is that individual
> packages get updated much more frequently, or...
>
>> Since i use MSYS/MinGW, i prefer now trying to compile
>> what i want myself rather than waiting that the version i want
>> arrives in SF.
>
> ...you have to keep the individual packages up to date, all by
> yourself, (and not everyone wants to become an MSYS developer).

yes, that's what i do. For now, it's the best solution for me wrt what is
SF Files section and wrt what I need.

>> What i don't understand is what you did for the MinGW automated
>> script is not done for MSYS.
>
> There is no one maintaining the Automated MinGW Installer; it still
> gives you GCC-3.4.5, and that's how it's going to stay, given its
> unmaintained state, even though GCC-4.4.0 has been available for
> some time now.
>
> We all recognise that mingw-get is the future for both MinGW and MSYS
> distribution; it will give you the package choice you ask for, but
> every hour I spend following up demands to "add this feature to
> MinGW-5.1", (or to create a similarly deficient installer for MSYS),
> is an extra hour's delay in the eventual availability of mingw-get.

I don't understand, then. If mingw-get is what is the best solution for
now, just say that "MinGW-5.1.6 is the last one, it will be deprecated
soon by mingw-get" and don't loose time on it anymore. Sometimes, you
have to take decisions in order for things to move on.

Vincent Torri