Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] zsh

On Sunday 27 September 2009 20:14:44 Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Vincent Torri wrote:
> >> The problem is that the 'Files' on SF is a real mess.

And that's mostly because SF keep moving the goal posts.

> i still don't understand why there is a need to have 2 packages
> for, eg, bzip2. bzip2 should be used with MSYS only.

Not so...

> So the mingw part is useless (imho).

Well, the mingw32 build of bzip2 is there because I needed the native
library build for mingw-get, (the new installer Chuck mentioned).
You get the rest as a side effect of building the library, but the
modular packaging allows you to choose whether or not to deploy
those components you may not need.

The MSYS build is there because Chuck, (and the other developers of
MSYS), need it for their packages.

> There are, also, completely outdated
> versions of the autotools eg. Why keeping them ?

Mainly because SF never throws anything away, even when it has become
obsolete.  Yes, the download site could benefit from reorganisation,
but we are all reluctant to embark on that exercise, given SF's
penchant for messing it up again, with yet another unilaterally
imposed change in site design.

> >> Such monolithic approach has his drawbacks, but it has an
> >> advantage: it's easy for users to install the components they
> >> want.
> >
> > And, all of the components they may not want --
>
> I prefer having more than not enough. And seriously, the amount of
> space taken by these small tools is ridiculously small compared to
> the size of hard disks sold nowadays.
>
> > they get exactly what
> > Earnie decided should be in the "MSYS DTK" over seven years ago.
>
> That's another problem. To have a new version, one should wait
> *years*.

And for as long as you demand monolithic package collections, you
will be obliged to wait all those years between releases.  The most
significant benefit of the modular approach is that individual
packages get updated much more frequently, or...

> Since i use MSYS/MinGW, i prefer now trying to compile
> what i want myself rather than waiting that the version i want
> arrives in SF.

...you have to keep the individual packages up to date, all by
yourself, (and not everyone wants to become an MSYS developer).

> > Yes, things are a bit of a mess right now. We're trying to make
> > things better, but it's going to take a while. For a
> > semi-automated script that handles some of what you want, as a
> > temporary workaround, see:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/30854
>
> What i don't understand is what you did for the MinGW automated
> script is not done for MSYS.

There is no one maintaining the Automated MinGW Installer; it still
gives you GCC-3.4.5, and that's how it's going to stay, given its
unmaintained state, even though GCC-4.4.0 has been available for
some time now.

We all recognise that mingw-get is the future for both MinGW and MSYS
distribution; it will give you the package choice you ask for, but
every hour I spend following up demands to "add this feature to
MinGW-5.1", (or to create a similarly deficient installer for MSYS),
is an extra hour's delay in the eventual availability of mingw-get.

--

Regards,
Keith.