Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] zsh

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Vincent Torri wrote:
>> The problem is that the 'Files' on SF is a real mess. I've been using
>> MSYS/MinGWfor several years and i am still lost with all those packages.
>> There are several packages with the same names (autoconf, automake,
>> etc... within 'msys' or 'mingw' in their names), sometimes with the same
>> version (bzip2). A newcomer would be certainly a lot more lost than me.
>
> I posted a summary of "what you need" to the mingw list last week. When
> I get enough 'tuits, I'll turn that into a wiki page.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/30819
>
> As far as understanding what the names of the various packages "means",
> see this:
> http://www.mingw.org/PackageIdentificationHOWTO

i still don't understand why there is a need to have 2 packages for, eg,
bzip2. bzip2 should be used with MSYS only. So the mingw part is useless
(imho). There are, also, completely outdated versions of the autotools eg.
Why keeping them ?

>> Such monolithic approach has his drawbacks, but it has an advantage: it's
>> easy for users to install the components they want.
>
> And, all of the components they may not want --

I prefer having more than not enough. And seriously, the amount of space
taken by these small tools is ridiculously small compared to the size of
hard disks sold nowadays.

> they get exactly what
> Earnie decided should be in the "MSYS DTK" over seven years ago.

That's another problem. To have a new version, one should wait *years*.
Since i use MSYS/MinGW, i prefer now trying to compile what i want myself
rather than waiting that the version i want arrives in SF.

> Yes, things are a bit of a mess right now. We're trying to make things
> better, but it's going to take a while. For a semi-automated script that
> handles some of what you want, as a temporary workaround, see:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/30854

What i don't understand is what you did for the MinGW automated script is
not done for MSYS. There is a list of tools that can be chosen when the
installer is run. The user choses (some of) them and the installer
download them, untar them and copy them.

Vincent Torri