Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] zsh

Vincent Torri wrote:
> The problem is that the 'Files' on SF is a real mess. I've been using
> MSYS/MinGWfor several years and i am still lost with all those packages.
> There are several packages with the same names (autoconf, automake,
> etc... within 'msys' or 'mingw' in their names), sometimes with the same
> version (bzip2). A newcomer would be certainly a lot more lost than me.

I posted a summary of "what you need" to the mingw list last week. When
I get enough 'tuits, I'll turn that into a wiki page.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/30819

As far as understanding what the names of the various packages "means",
see this:
http://www.mingw.org/PackageIdentificationHOWTO

> Such monolithic approach has his drawbacks, but it has an advantage: it's
> easy for users to install the components they want.

And, all of the components they may not want -- they get exactly what
Earnie decided should be in the "MSYS DTK" over seven years ago.

Yes, things are a bit of a mess right now. We're trying to make things
better, but it's going to take a while. For a semi-automated script that
handles some of what you want, as a temporary workaround, see:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/30854

--
Chuck