Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] error of mingw32-make-3.80.exe

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Not as such, no. All of the components of a new DTK are already
> available from the MinGW download site as separate packages, but we are
> moving away from such "monolithic" mega-packages like the old MSYS DTK.

The problem is that the 'Files' on SF is a real mess. I've been using
MSYS/MinGWfor several years and i am still lost with all those packages.
There are several packages with the same names (autoconf, automake,
etc... within 'msys' or 'mingw' in their names), sometimes with the same
version (bzip2). A newcomer would be certainly a lot more lost than me.

Such monolithic approach has his drawbacks, but it has an advantage: it's
easy for users to install the components they want.

> Eventually a new installer program will be available that will enable
> you to easily download and install of these smaller components
> (currently, your only recourse is a painful manual process).

Exactly. It's a pain.

Vincent Torri