Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] No List Notes Since the 14th

Hi Stephen,

On Friday 20 March 2009 12:37:35 Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.

You're welcome, but please don't top-post:
http://www.redballoon.net/~snorwood/quote-rant.shtml

> In a msydvlpr shell I get

Why are you in an msysdvlpr shell?  You aren't developing *MSYS*, are
you?  Just use a regular MSYS shell, in MinGW personality; otherwise
you aren't using MinGW to compile, and you are stuck with the ancient
gcc-2.95.3 compiler, building applications dependent on msys-1.0.dll.

> $ uname -orv
> uname: invalid option -- o

Strange.  I don't recall a uname that didn't support -o.  It's been a
long time since I worked on SVR2; I thought even that had it, but I
could be wrong.  No matter; what does `uname -a' say?

> $ sh --version
> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

That would likely be from MSYS-1.0.10 then?  The difference in bash
version may account for the difference in observed behaviour.

> Obviously I need to update.

I would recommend that.

> This is the enviroment I get when compiling GNUCash from their
> packaging svn.
>
> I know that it creates other bin subdir when installing the
> compiler tools.

Why would their SVN be setting up the compiler suite?  Or have I
misunderstood you here?

> I will need to work out how to add these bin subdir to .bashrc so I
> can test why gnucash compiles very unreliably on this machine.
>
> It has been suggested to me that I could have a race condition in rm

I wouldn't like to comment on that, but I would definitely question
why you think you should be using msysdvlpr; there should be no valid
justification for that choice.

> Is there a whereis command under msys/mingw?

MSYS has which; MinGW doesn't have commands, other than those which
comprise the GCC compiler suite and its supporting binutils.

--

Regards,
Keith.