Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Which build environment to use?

Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
> Can some one please explain why I am not seeing the ah8633.628 dir in the following output? This is the msys output from a machine running Windows XP.
>
> GNUCash@ELSHADAI ~
> $ ls -la /tmp/a*
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x    2 GNUCash  Administ        0 Jan 30 18:42 .
> drwxr-xr-x    4 GNUCash  Administ        0 Jan 30 18:42 ..
[...]
> /tmp/ah8633.628:
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x    2 GNUCash  Administ        0 Jan 30 18:42 .
> drwxr-xr-x    4 GNUCash  Administ        0 Jan 30 18:42 ..

These two are the same.
Shell globs a* to a list of names (/tmp/ah8633.628) passed
on to ls, which treats them as ordinary parameters.
What you are seeing is the contents of /tmp/ah8633.628.
If there were more matching names, you would see
the directory name listed.
Try "ls -lda /tmp/a*"

See http://www.google.com/search?q=man+ls

--
Tuomo

... Eric actually read the EULA for Office 2007 Compatibility Pack,
    and was happy to know that Microsoft will actually take responsibility
    up to /five whole dollars/ for damages to your computer...
                           -- on http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/
                                 Finally,-a-Software-Guarantee.aspx