Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Line endings and MSYS diff

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 12:29:42 JonY wrote:
> please avoid top posting next time, thanks.

Hear, hear!  Well, actually it isn't really a matter of avoiding it;
please just don't do it!

> Where did you get 1.4.9 from? Did you compile it yourself?

Seems likely, and this indeed would be the problem; a natively
compiled m4 would emit CRLF delimited output, but autom4te *needs* to
have just LF -- that means you *must* use the m4-1.4.7 compiled as an
MSYS component.

This has been discussed several times before.  I don't know if Ralf
Wildenhues watches this list, but if so, he may be able to offer some
more authoritative info on the issue; IIRC, there was some talk of
making autom4te more tolerant of this issue.

> m4 devs claim MinGW strtod() is broken, hence it won't function
> properly.
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/m4-discuss@xxxxxxx/msg00200.html>

Well, that's a rather glib statement, lacking any detail of what the
claimed issues may be...

> I'm not sure if it had been fixed with the recent runtime update.

...but AFAIK, the latest runtime provides a fully standards compliant
strtod().  In any case, I fairly certain the current problem isn't
related to this; it is much more likely to be the m4 CRLF issue.

BTW, there is a further problem lurking in the OP's procedure, yet to
be discovered.  This...

> GNUCash@ELSHADAI ~/src/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.63
> $ ./configure --prefix=/mingw
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
>
> etecera

...indicates that he is following the instructions on the original
wiki page, and performing an `in-source' build, in spite of the
comment I added to that page, warning against it; in fact, it's poor
advice in *any* case, but in the case of autoconf it falls foul of a
Makefile conflict between the file `INSTALL', and the phoney
`install' target, (fixed in the git repository, but not yet in any
released version).  You can work around it, by using `csmake', (or
`cpmake'), instead of `make', but it doesn't arise at all, if you
adopt the much preferred option of building in a separate directory,
outside of the source tree.

Regards,
Keith.