Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Path transformation

On 2008-10-14 12:53Z, Tim Murphy wrote:

> I am working on a build system that is meant to work on Linux and
> Windows.  We use MSYS for the windows side of things - we use bash and
> coretools but our make is the mingw make because we had problems with
> stackdumps from the msys one in the distant past.

Did you report the problems?

Can you definitely tell whether they're problems with 'make'
and not with the commands in the makefile?

Have you tried a newer MSYS 'make'?

> One of the many problems that we have seen is commands that fail to
> execute either because:
>
> 1) They cannot be found on the path

Is that because you aren't using the MSYS version of 'make'?

> 2) They use the TMP or TEMP variables which turn out to have
> nonsensical contents.

You can do something like this:

# Make sure a temporary directory exists.

TMPDIR ?= /tmp
$(TMPDIR):
	+@[ -d $@ ] || $(MKDIR) --parents $@

> These problems are very hard to reproduce and happen randomly
> throughout our build.
>
> We have found ways of working around the problem (using full paths for
> executables and forcing TMP to be a certain value).  It's still
> bothersome and we'd like to solve it.
>
> I'm posting this in case anyone has ever come across these problems
> and in case anyone ever does - they'll know they weren't alone.

But you say you'd like the problems solved, so why not file a
defect report with a minimal, standalone, reproducible testcase?
You say the problems are hard to reproduce, but how can the first
one (for example) be so? Either a program is found on the path,
or it isn't, right?