Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Strange path transformation with Emacs

Keith Marshall wrote:
On Friday 29 August 2008 18:12:30 Jim Cobban wrote:

Specifically I am trying to install wxWidgets using gcc and the
commands that I issue are:

cd /c/wxWidgets-2.8.8/build/msw
make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug

This looks like you are using an MSYS + MinGW build environment, but
are trying to follow the MSVC build procedure; that isn't likely to
work.  With MSYS + MinGW, you should use the *nix build method.

I also tried issuing the commands directly under the Windows command prompt, but this did not change the error message.

The instructions for the build explicitly say to NOT use the *nix build method.  Specifically the install.txt file says:

NOTE: The makefile.gcc makefiles are for compilation under MinGW using
      Windows command interpreter (command.com/cmd.exe), they won't work in
      other environments (such as UNIX or Unix-like, e.g. MSYS where you have
      to use configure instead, see the section below)

Here are the steps required using the provided makefiles:

- Use the makefile.gcc files for compiling wxWidgets and samples,
  e.g. to compile a debugging version of wxWidgets:
  > cd c:\wx\build\msw
  > make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=debug

Here's what I did, (GNU/Linux + MinGW):

  $ mkdir -p ~/build/wxWidgets-2.8.8/msw
  $ cd !$
  $ ../../../src/wxWidgets-2.8.8/configure --prefix=$HOME/mingw32 \
      --build=i686-pc-linux --host=mingw32 --with-msw
  $ make
  $ make install

This worked flawlessly, for me.  In your case, you can omit the build
and host specs, (because you are using a natively-hosted compiler,
where I have a cross-compiler), and use --prefix=/mingw, (because
that is where your MinGW-GCC will eventually look for the installed
headers and libraries*).

I am sorry, I understand the meaning of each individual command that you suggest issuing, but I don't understand why you are issuing them.  The second command only works under Linux of course.  But I am not trying to install wxWidgets under Linux.  I will do that too ... later.  The whole point of the exercise is to run the final programs under Windows.  I admit that it would probably be easier to develop the application on Linux and just port it to Mingw at the last moment, which appears to be at the heart of your suggestion, but I am just not comfortable enough yet doing development under Linux, and the database the application is intended to work on is being created by a 3rd party Windows app, which I have not yet been able to get to work effectively under Linux.  If I can do the development using Mingw on Windows I can save having to reboot my computer to switch over to Linux.

So bottom line I just want make the installation of wxWidgets work on Windows.  It doesn't right now, and I have no idea how to fix it.
--
Jim Cobban   jcobban@xxxxxxxx
34 Palomino Dr.