Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] CVS: msys/packages/rxvt/2.7.2

another carlos wrote:
> Hi!,
>
> The instructions given to install Msys are confusing.
>
> ==>  The page: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys says:
>
>> These instructions were based on the Enlightenment Wiki.
>> If they are out of date, you may find updated ones there.
>
> Then, it is told to install autoconf, automak and libtool
> with:
>      ./configure --prefix=/mingw&&  make&&  make install
>
> ==>  Does it means, they will be installed under /mingw ?
>
> If yes, why does the Enlightenment Wiki specifically indicate
> to not install them in /mingw or /usr ?
>
> And does it make any differences if i install msys-dtk or not ?
>
> Would you please give me some more explanations.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
I specifically wrote to install to /mingw because it avoids the huge
mess when/if you do install MSYS versions of autotools (MSYS versions
being that they should only be used internally with MSYS, never with
MinGW) for msysdvlpr.

gcc for msysdvlpr is hard-coded to search /usr and /usr/local for
libraries. Libraries for MSYS and MinGW should not clobber each other,
they use different C runtimes.

Installing to /mingw also allows MinGW gcc and other 3rd party tools to
pick up the headers and libraries automatically.

msys-dtk is optional, but it gives you perl, m4, cvs and etc.