Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] CVS: msys/packages/rxvt/2.7.2

I've been at this for almost a week, but no matter what I try, I cannot get autotools to work properly for me... at least I think the problem is autotools.

I have reduced my method to as little steps as possible, in hope someone is able to help me out.

 - I start of with installing mingw on a clean system, I use the installer and choose "candidate".
 - I then install msys, I use the current stable installer.
 - I then install the gtk development version from gladewin32 (sourceforge)
 - I then install the gtkmm development version from gnome.org ftp

All these programs properly setup any path variables, and gtk also contains the pkg-config tool. I only had to setup my PKG_CONFIG_PATH, so when I type pkg-config gtkmm-2.4 --cflags --libs, things work as expected.

Just to clarify this is definitely setup properly, I am able to compile a simple single file c++ gtkmm programs no problem by hand, using something like:

g++ simple.cc -o simple `pkg-config gtkmm-2.4 --cflags --libs`

So I know that is all working properly. Ok, now getting back to the problem at hand... First of all, here is my project, we start with a new folder, no files in it at all... then create the following files:

configure.ac:

AC_INIT(src/main.cc)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(simple,0.1)
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS(config.h)
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPS, gtkmm-2.4 >= 1.0.0)
AC_SUBST(DEPS_CFLAGS)
AC_SUBST(DEPS_LIBS)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

Makefile.am:

SUBDIRS = src

src/Makefile.am:

bin_PROGRAMS = simple
simple_SOURCES = main.cc
LIBS = $(DEPS_LIBS)
INCLUDES = $(DEPS_CFLAGS)

src/main.cc:

#include <gtkmm.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    Gtk::Main kit(argc, argv);

    Gtk::Window window;

    Gtk::Main::run(window);

    return 0;
}

Ok, now I change into that folder (using msys offcourse), and type the following:

autoheader
touch NEWS README AUTHORS ChangeLog stamp-h
aclocal
libtoolize
autoconf
automake --add-missing

Everything's fine upto this point, then I type:

./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
./configure: line 1856: syntax error near unexpected token `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPS,'
./configure: line 1856: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPS, gtkmm-2.4 >= 1.0.0)'

I checked the contents of configure, a very large shell script, however around line 1856 it has the text PKG_CHECK_MODULES(DEPS, gtkmm-2.4 >= 1.0.0) in it directly, which doesn't look like proper shellscript code to me. I am not sure which of the tools generates this file, but it seems like a bug to me.

I have tried replacing the autotools with later versions, but that didn't seem to work either, so I restored everything the way it was. Also, please note that this same method I use for building software works perfectly fine in Ubuntu, just not mingw/msys. I'm completely stuck at the moment, for now I can only compile my stuff in Ubuntu, but not win32 because of this. Any help would be much appreciated.