Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Reconstruction of MSYS-1.0.11 test results - findutils.

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 13:04:17 Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> First of all: is there documentation for MSYS, apart from
> /doc/msys? It’s not much in there.

You could also look at http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki, but other than
this, there is nothing specific to MSYS.  However, it is basically a
Unix shell (GNU bash to be precise), with a few common Unix tools.
Google for `linux manpages online'; that should turn up a plethora of
links for detailed docs on the individual commands.

> With some guessing, I found out how to go into the directory where
> the project is, namely C:\Dokumente und
> Einstellungen\Monasearch\Eigene Dateien\workspace\Mona.  As you
> see: spaces in the path.  Asking for trouble, I’m afraid.

You said it...

> Anyway, so cd /c/Dokumente\ und\ Einstellungen/Monasearch/Eigene\
> Dateien/workspace/Mona made my day. Then ./configure:
>
>   ./configure
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
> /c/Dokumente: /c/Dokumente: No such file or directory

...and here you see why we so strongly encourage you to *not* to use
path names with spaces -- in this case, your configure script has
been confused by the spaces in the path name.

> configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
>
> ... some more
>
> checking for working mmap... no
> checking for alarm... no
> configure: error: required library function not found

I would first move your source tree into a subdirectory of your MSYS
$HOME, (which if you've installed correctly will be in a path with no
spaces in the name).  However, I suspect that this will be the least
of your problems; it looks like this package requires POSIX APIs
which are available natively on MS-Windows, so you have some porting
effort ahead.

Regards,
Keith.