Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Reconstruction of MSYS-1.0.11 test results.

On Monday 30 June 2008 22:28:31 SUNIL NEGI wrote:
> Just so this is helpful to others.... the sed command needs to be
> modified to:
> echo "1.12" | sed -n  -e "s/^\([0-9]*\).*/\1/p"

Nope, this is not correct; the original command is almost correct, but
to make its contained sed expression valid, it needs a newline to
separate the `q' from the following right brace, but still within the
enclosing quote.

> This will stop the error from coming and a valid output is
> produced.

If this is the same error I encountered, then no, this does *not*
produce correct output.  You do not seem to report the full context
from where that error occurs; where I encountered this error, this is
the first of three instances of a very similar expression.  Your
quick hack may circumvent the first of these, and even with a bit of
further modification, the second, but it does not produce correct
output for the third case.

> This could be a bug, but I would digress from my original project
> if start debugging it.

It is a bug.  I've already filed a report, and posted patches to
correct it.

Regards,
Keith.