Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Building Perl 5.8.7 from source

"Peter J. Farley III" wrote:

> I'm a bit confused.  Aren't all the tools in that directory MSYS
> builds?  Or are only the ones marked MSYS truly MSYS builds?
>
> If so, does that mean the *-bin-* builds are for mingw only, and
> therefore should go into the mingw/bin directory, as opposed to the
> msys/bin directory?

There are two flavors of the autotools, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys/4309/focus=4324>.

> BTW, is there an easier way than the sourceforge DL pages to get all
> those files one by one?  Could I use wget and put together a script to
> just get them all at one go?  If so, what would I use for the url?  Or
> is there an ftp alternative?

wget works just fine with sourceforge, e.g.

$ for pkg in autoconf-2.61 automake-1.10 libiconv-1.11 \
             gettext-0.16.1 gettext-devel-0.16.1; do \
  wget -nv \
  http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/$pkg-MSYS-1.0.11.tar.bz2; \
  done

The downloads.sourceforge.net URL above will http-redirect to a random
mirror.  You can also just pick your desired mirror URL and use that
directly as sometimes you get redirected to a mirror very far from you.

Brian