Web lists-archives.com

Re: Bash-3.00.16(+) was: Re: [Mingw-msys] tar and symlinks

Peter J. Farley III wrote:
> So should the msysCORE be installed first and the coreutils snapshot
> laid over that?  Should the coreutils contents be copied after
> extracting the archive to the regular msys directories?

Correct on both accounts.

> What about the individual utility sets like findutils and diffutils?
>  Should they be installed over the msysCORE and coreutils snapshot, or
> instead of one or both of them, or not at all?

They should be installed over.

> And I have similar questions for the DTK utilities.  Should I use
> autoconf-2.5-2.61 or autoconf-2.1-2.13?  automake-1.9 or automake-1.10
> or automake-3-1?  Should I install gettext-1.16.1-1.bin or
> gettext-0.16.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1?

You can safely install all of the above. automake-3-1 is a wrapper
script which calls autoconf-2.5-2.61 or autoconf-2.1-2.13 as
appropriate, dependent on the requirements of the particular source
package you are building. Likewise for automake-3-1.

As for gettext-1.16.1-1-bin, it provides autopoint, which is another
autotool you may need. The gettext-0.16.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1, on the other
hand, is a MSYS build. You can install it as well, other MSYS-built
tools may depend on it.

Note that you don't need to install all of the DTK tools, you can pick
those you really need. You may find, however, that some tools have
dependencies you need to install as well. A safe bet is to install them all.

Regards,

Cesar