Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: Apache + mod_perl

My most sincere apologies to the whole list for sending the prior
version of this email in HTML.  Mea maxima culpa!  I forgot to set my
mail client to plain text.  Hopefully this will come to you plain text
as it should have in the first place.

Hi all,

I have been reading as many messages related to installation of msys
as I can in the mingw-msys archive, but I did not see any posts that
describe which MSYS-1.0.11 files should be installed in which order to
update a base msys-1.0.10 system to whatever the current state of
msys-1.0.11 may or should be.

I have used MinGW-5.1.3.exe to install gcc and g++, then installed
MSYS-1.0.11.exe as recommended.  My directory structure is also as
recommended, c:\msys\1.0 for msys and c:\msys\1.0\mingw for gcc and
g++.  I DL'd and ran msysDTK-1.0.1.exe as well.

Now I would like to update to msys-1.0.11 as far as possible, so I
DL'd all the "Technology Preview" *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2 files on the
download page under MSYS Base System, but there isn't a reference
anywhere I could find that indicates in what order these archives
should be installed, if any order is needed.

In particular, I now have both msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2
and coreutils-5.97-MSYS-1.0.11-snapshot.tar.bz2.  The msysCORE archive
seems to have about half the utilities dated 2002 and 2003 and the
rest in January 2007, while the base msys-1.1.10 installed all the
core utilities dated in March 2004.  The coreutilis snapshot has many
of the same utilities (but not all of them) dated in August 2007.
 Plus the coreutils snapshot has a different directory structure, with
an extra level named "coreutils-5.97" above the bin/doc/info/lib
directories.

So should the msysCORE be installed first and the coreutils snapshot
laid over that?  Should the coreutils contents be copied after
extracting the archive to the regular msys directories?

What about the individual utility sets like findutils and diffutils?
 Should they be installed over the msysCORE and coreutils snapshot, or
instead of one or both of them, or not at all?

And I have similar questions for the DTK utilities.  Should I use
autoconf-2.5-2.61 or autoconf-2.1-2.13?  automake-1.9 or automake-1.10
or automake-3-1?  Should I install gettext-1.16.1-1.bin or
gettext-0.16.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1?

If there is a page or a message or set of messages I need to read to
clear up my confusion, please point me to them and I will do so.

TIA for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Peter