Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] /usr automount [WAS: Recursive Directory Workaround]

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008 08:34:00 pm JonY wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Cygwin attempts to emulate much of POSIX on Windows, the downside is all
>> programs compiled to take advantage of cygwin features rely on
>> cygwin1.dll. It has nice UNIX features though such as fork and UNIX
>> sockets emulation.
>>
>> MSYS is an old Cygwin fork containing a subset of UNIX support
>> applications. Its primary use is to ease porting applications using UNIX
>> style build system such as autotools while using MinGW tools to build
>> it, a convenience for Win32 users. All programs will link to msvcrt.dll.
>> One does not usually "compile for MSYS" unless developing for MSYS.
>
> so you could build a *nix app as win32 with say mingw but not have to worry
> about the dll?

No, that is what the cygwin1.dll is for, *nix fuction emulation on
Windows. MinGW uses a different runtime from Cygwin and MSYS, it relies
on MS provided runtime dll, therefore only has win32 functions.

>> To use it, just unpack them to anywhere on the new computer and they
>> will run fine. Do try to avoid placing MSYS and MinGW apps together though.
>
> why?

Thats just probably me wanting to be neat. Not too long ago, MSYS
couldn't differentiate between a native win32 app and an MSYS app,
causing havoc when mixed. Now, MSYS checks the PE headers.

Lets say that you used "play.exe ~/beep.mp3" command. If play.exe is a
native win32 app, it gets translated to "play.exe
c:\msys\1.0\home\user\beep.mp3", while for MSYS apps, it is passed as is
to play.exe. Its mostly fixups for UNIX slash and Windows back slash.

Imho, its nice to be neat once you start developing for MSYS and
building MSYS tools. You will get in trouble for calling MSYS gcc to to
link with MinGW gcc libraries, often in forms of mysterious segfaults.

>> You can also unpack them unto your USB drive if you have the space on it
>> and run it from there, you need only adjust fstab before starting MSYS.
>>
>> For permanent user directory, you should be able to easily edit it to
>> point to a permanent home directory even on new machines.

Sorry, the above "it" refers to /etc/profile.