Web lists-archives.com

Re: FW: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

On Thursday 03 April 2008 08:34:00 pm JonY wrote:
> Hi,
> Cygwin attempts to emulate much of POSIX on Windows, the downside is all
> programs compiled to take advantage of cygwin features rely on
> cygwin1.dll. It has nice UNIX features though such as fork and UNIX
> sockets emulation.
>
> MSYS is an old Cygwin fork containing a subset of UNIX support
> applications. Its primary use is to ease porting applications using UNIX
> style build system such as autotools while using MinGW tools to build
> it, a convenience for Win32 users. All programs will link to msvcrt.dll.
> One does not usually "compile for MSYS" unless developing for MSYS.

so you could build a *nix app as win32 with say mingw but not have to worry
about the dll?

> To use it, just unpack them to anywhere on the new computer and they
> will run fine. Do try to avoid placing MSYS and MinGW apps together though.

why?

> You can also unpack them unto your USB drive if you have the space on it
> and run it from there, you need only adjust fstab before starting MSYS.
>
> For permanent user directory, you should be able to easily edit it to
> point to a permanent home directory even on new machines.
>
> Its a bit of a hassle when you first start and somewhat steep for new
> users.

hassle for me is all. which is why I'd like a portableapps version. I don't
hardly use windows enough to care. but we have windows at school, and getting
*nix as a laptop on there wifi was a pita, I never did succeed.

> > also vim 5? does the vim 7 for windows work under msys? if not do you
> > guys think you could release a vim 7 installer? I really like the latest
> > features of vim (especially tabs).
>
> There is vim 7.1 binary for MSYS on the sourceforge downloads. Its under
> MSYS Supplementary Tools. It has support for tabs too, but I would still
> consider it a console app rather than a GUI one.

cool I'll check it out. doesn't matter if it is a console app. I have portable
vim installed, if I want the gui, but I'm used to cli anyhow.

--
Caleb Cushing

my blog http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com