Web lists-archives.com

Re: FW: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

Thanks much. I can offer insight into some of the problems that
frustrated me. Improvements can't be made solely by improving
instructions in the wiki (but thanks for doing some of that, as you
comment in a following note).

1) I expected to find installation instructions in the
download/installation section of mingw.org. But there is no link there
to the minGWiki! And I had no reason to go to the MinGWiki in the left
column, precisely because I was trying to find installation instructions.

2) The layout of file releases at sourceforge has columns "Package",
"Release", "Date", "Notes/Monitor", "Downloads". This may be (partially)
brain-dead, but it didn't occur to me to click in the left column
because I was looking for recent releases. So specifically for MSYS, all
I could see as being available was a "Technology Preview". The wiki
instructions could alert the reader to this possible mechanism for not
finding the MSYS installer.

3) Something you can't do anything about, but exacerbated by there being
no link to installation instructions in the install section of
mingw.org, is the fact that in my floundering around in Googleland I saw
different statements about the order in which one should install MinGW
and MSYS.

A general comment: It seems to be traditional, and I guess it must work
for the experts, not to provide simple lists of what is in a package.
For example, if I get the dev package, do I also need the runtime
package, or is it included? (I've seen both.) The MinGW binary installer
for Windows is very good in this respect, assuming that the list to
choose from during installation is in fact complete.

Bruce Sherwood