Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 15:13, Dietfrid Mali wrote:
> I know that this project is maintained by volunteers but yet I have
> to say that for me this looks like the biggest messy pile of software
> I have ever seen in my life.

And I have to say that this must be the most insolent plea for help that
I have ever seen in *my* life!

> I have no clue how to get this to work
> so that I could run aclocal, autoheader, automake and configure on
> scripts that work flawlessly on Linux. Installation is a horror - you
> neither know what exactly you need, nor where to put it.

All I will say is that I have installed *all* of the stuff you are
whingeing about, without encountering the slightest problem, simply by
following the instructions at:
http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/GettingStarted

and cheerfully accepting the defaults for everything; it all works fine
for me.  Perhaps you should direct your vitriolic criticism somewhere
closer to home.

> Unfortunately I have to use this stuff, so please help me to get this
> going.

Are you kidding?  Do you seriously expect the voluntary maintainers of
any software, especially that which you have acquired at zero cost, to
respond sympathetically, when you insult them so wilfully?  And, please
DO NOT post multipart MIME messages; use plain text ONLY, and set word
wrap at 72 columns or less.

Regards,
Keith.