Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

On Thursday 17 January 2008 22:53, Michael Kappert wrote:
> Hmm. I'm thinking if the escape sequences really make sense.

IMO, yes.

> If a user has to edit his scripts/source code by prefixing strings
> with escape chars, couldn't he just as well change the offending
> paths to Windows format?

No, because then you would break portability to other host types, in
particular those expecting POSIX syntax.  Unless you are still using
the neolithic technique of packaging a separate Makefile for every
platform you wish to support, this isn't an acceptable option; MSYS is
not in the business of offering sacrifices to the dinosaurs.

The portable way to set this up is with a macro such as

   MSYS_LITERAL = @MSYS_LITERAL@

in Makefile.in, and let the configure script provide an appropriate
substitution when building on MSYS, or nothing otherwise; then, again
in Makefile.in, where you want to protect an argument from the MSYS
path transformation, you would preface it with $(MSYS_LITERAL).

> Also, I'd expect the 'AUTO' setting to try to Do The Right Thing,

I consider it to be the right thing, as I've proposed it,

> and ON and/or OFF to be manually fine-tuneable.

Nope.  OFF means just that. EVERYWHERE; how can that be fine tunable?
Ditto for ON.  The fine tunable option is that which I've called AUTO;
at present I can visualise no other way to achieve it, than that which
I've proposed, but I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,
Keith.