Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

Brian Antao wrote:
> Looks like the best solution is to use Cygwin... in which case wouldI have to uninstall MinGW/msys as there might be potential conflicts between the two systems residing together... what about the libraries that I have compiled with MinGW/msys .. would all of these need to be built again under Cygwin ?Thanks again,      -- BrianOn Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:46:30 +0000 MSYS Discussion List wroteOn Thursday 17 January 2008 20:54, Johannes Schindelin wrote:> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Brian Antao wrote:> > The standard release of MinGW/msys does not contain the file> > sys/resource.h. I need this file for a compilation. Where in the> > distribution Can I find it ?You cannot, for it is intentionally omitted; it defines POSIX resources which are unsupported in the native Windows environment, in which MinGW is intended to work. You need to port the application.> There is a huge difference between MinGW and MSys. MSys has this> file, you ju
st
>  need to download msysDVLPR. But beware: you have to> start the MSys shell, and your programs will be linked to> msys-1.0.dll.And therein lies the clue: the features defined in this header are not natively supported on Windows, and you need a POSIX emulation layer, (as provided by msys-1.0.dll), to run such programs.The solution here is *not* simply to download msysDVLPR; we sanction that only for those who wish to contribute to MSYS development itself. The solution, which we officially sanction, is one of the following:--1) If you want the program to run natively on Windows, then you need to port the missing features to use the native platform APIs; in so doing, you will likely develop your own replacement for the "missing" header, or at least some subset of it, defining those features which you find that you actually need to implement.2) If you don't want to port the application, and you don't mind the dependency on a POSIX emulation layer, then we recommend that y
ou
>  use Cygwin, *not* msysDVLPR. In fact, MSYS itself is a limited feature fork of Cygwin version 1.3, (which is quite old).We will not provide support for use of msysDVLPR for any purpose beyond the development of MSYS itself, nor beyond the scope of the declared objective of MSYS, which is restricted to providing a host environment in which to run MinGW, and MinGW applications. If you choose to follow this unsanctioned development path, then you are on your own.Regards,Keith.-------------------------------------------------------------------------This SF.net email is sponsored by: MicrosoftDefy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/_______________________________________________Mingw-msys mailing listMingw-msys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/mingw-msys

The text portion (as opposed to HTML) of your mail seems
to be on a single line. As a consequence, I didn't read it.
I would also suspect that others didn't read it either,
for the same reason.
I hope it wasn't anything important.

The text portion also seems to contain some HTML. Not cool.

Come to think of it, I remember someone sending mail to either
this or the MinGW list so that most lines ended with an equals sign
('='), which my reader (Thunderbird) then regarded as a sign of
the lines being wrapped. That had the effect of having each
paragraph on their own line. Not very readable.

This is worse - the whole message is on a single line.
Granted, the reader wraps the line on screen edge (or when quoting,
apparently somewhere around column 2000) as many times as needed,
but that does not mentionably improve the readability.

Anyway, didn't mean to insult or offend.
I was just kinda hoping you would fix it.

--
Tuomo

... What are you doing?!? The message is over, GO AWAY!