Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

On Thursday 17 January 2008 20:54, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Brian Antao wrote:
> > The standard release of MinGW/msys does not contain the file
> > sys/resource.h. I need this file for a compilation. Where in the
> > distribution Can I find it ?

You cannot, for it is intentionally omitted; it defines POSIX resources
which are unsupported in the native Windows environment, in which MinGW
is intended to work.  You need to port the application.

> There is a huge difference between MinGW and MSys.  MSys has this
> file, you just need to download msysDVLPR.  But beware: you have to
> start the MSys shell, and your programs will be linked to
> msys-1.0.dll.

And therein lies the clue: the features defined in this header are not
natively supported on Windows, and you need a POSIX emulation layer,
(as provided by msys-1.0.dll), to run such programs.

The solution here is *not* simply to download msysDVLPR; we sanction
that only for those who wish to contribute to MSYS development itself.
The solution, which we officially sanction, is one of the following:--

1) If you want the program to run natively on Windows, then you need to
port the missing features to use the native platform APIs; in so doing,
you will likely develop your own replacement for the "missing" header,
or at least some subset of it, defining those features which you find
that you actually need to implement.

2) If you don't want to port the application, and you don't mind the
dependency on a POSIX emulation layer, then we recommend that you use
Cygwin, *not* msysDVLPR.  In fact, MSYS itself is a limited feature
fork of Cygwin version 1.3, (which is quite old).

We will not provide support for use of msysDVLPR for any purpose beyond
the development of MSYS itself, nor beyond the scope of the declared
objective of MSYS, which is restricted to providing a host environment
in which to run MinGW, and MinGW applications.  If you choose to follow
this unsanctioned development path, then you are on your own.

Regards,
Keith.