Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Apache + mod_perl

On 2008-01-13 01:02Z, Fabrizio Gennari wrote:
> I am trying to use Bash in my MSYS installation.
>
> I downloaded bash-3.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1.tar.bz2 and
> coreutils-5.97-MSYS-1.0.11-snapshot

Okay.

> and extracted them. I also downloaded Sed from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net.

Do you need to use that instead of MSYS's own 'sed'?

> bash-3.1$ /bin/echo.exe a=a | sed s/=//
> c:\msys\1.0\bin\sed.exe: espressione -e #1, carattere 4: comando `s' non
> terminato
[...]
> What is MinGW Bash doing to the cmd line?

The command line resembles a path, so MSYS translates it,
even though the translation is more aggressive than you
want in this case.

You can avoid the problem by using MSYS's own 'sed', which
understands the MSYS filesystem and doesn't need any
translation:

  $echo a=a | sed s/=//
  aa

If you use a non-MSYS 'sed', then you'll get this problem:

  $echo a=a | /c/usr/bin/sed s/=//
  c:\usr\bin\sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 4: Unterminated `s' command

but it's generally possible to work around it by writing
the command so that it looks less like a path, e.g.:

  $echo a=a | /c/usr/bin/sed -e';s/=//'
  aa

This issue is known:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys/2183
and patches are invited--see this recent discussion:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/25073