Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

I am trying to use Bash in my MSYS installation.

I downloaded bash-3.1-MSYS-1.0.11-1.tar.bz2 and
coreutils-5.97-MSYS-1.0.11-snapshot
<http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/coreutils-5.97-MSYS-1.0.11-snapshot.tar.bz2?use_mirror=surfnet>.tar.bz2
and extracted them. I also downloaded Sed from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net.

>From the command prompt, I launch

C:\Documents and Settings\Fabrizio>c:\msys\1.0\bin\echo a=a | sed s/=//
aa

Right.

Then, I start bash. I type

bash-3.1$ /bin/echo.exe a=a | sed s/=//
c:\msys\1.0\bin\sed.exe: espressione -e #1, carattere 4: comando `s' non
terminato

Well, apart from the Italian locale, it should be clear that bash passes
to sed an "unterminated 's' command". The same command line gives 2
different results, with Windows command prompt and bash.

Of course, the same command on Bash and Linux works.

What is MinGW Bash doing to the cmd line?