Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

Terrence Brannon wrote:

> How can I create a symlink to the "My Documents" directory in my MSYS home
> directory?

MSYS does not use or support symlinks.  ln -s makes copies of files.

MSYS' whole reason for existance is to support the build systems for
plain Win32 apps (like MinGW gcc), and these native apps don't know
anything about symlinks because symlinks don't exist on native Windows.
Therefore having a 'ln -s' that made fake symlinks (like Cygwin's 'ln
-s' does) would not be useful as programs like MinGW gcc would not be
able to understand them.  Cygwin can get away with this because all
Cygwin tools are linked to the Cygwin runtime.

Brian