Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] Maintnance script

Hi,

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Keith Marshall wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 01:03 +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > > RXVT has been a `Right Royal Pain in the Posterior', for as long as
> > > I can remember.
> >
> > IMHO it would be better to fix Rxvt
>
> It is easy to express such an opinion, but are you volunteering to put
> in the necessary effort to achieve that?  If `yes', then I look forward
> to testing the fruits of your labour; if `no', then why do expect others
> to expend such effort, when those who have tried in the past have come
> to the conclusion that such an ideal may be unachievable?

In fact, once I breathe some air after having succeeded in compiling
Subversion+Perl-Module in msysGit, that is my next target.

Don't hold your breath for it.

> > than to point to half-assed "solutions".
>
> No one has done any such thing.

To propose Console2, admitting that it does not run on older Windows
(which are way preferable to me, since I have lots of licenses for them
that work, thanks to Microsoft's insistence on selling Windows with every
computer, and they run way faster in virtualisers/emulators) is what
qualifies as "half-assed" with this coder.

> There are two officially supported methods of running the MSYS shell:--
>
> 1) In a native Woe32 console.  This is the only one of the two which is
>    truly robust; it has always been available, and is the default choice
>    for Cygwin, but not for MSYS.  In a recent poll, on this list, those
>    who bothered to respond were unanimous that it should also become the
>    default for MSYS.

I wasn't there; I would have opposed.

Even if we have to use cmd/command.exe with msysGit, since for example ssh
password input or paging with "less" does not work properly in rxvt, the
shortcomings of cmd/command are so annoying that I curse out loud in the
general direction of Redmond almost every time I have to use it.

Think resizing the window (not that hard, everybody else seems to do it
just fine). Think copy/pasting (you have to enable it manually! you have
to _right_ click to finish the selection! You can forget about multi-line
selections if the first line of what you want to select does not start in
the first column).  Think scrolling back with a keyboard shortcut.

> 2) In an RXVT.  Currently the default, but has always been beset by
>    problems.  Earnie, who originally chose to make it the default, and
>    who did not vote in the poll, devoted a lot of effort in trying to
>    fix it, before eventually conceding defeat.

Yes, fighting with the Win32 API is more difficult than any
adventure/first-person-shooter game I ever saw.  But never attribute to
malice that which can be explained by incompetence.  After all, the same
bunch still have the most virus- and bug-ridden OS out there, even after
years of money heading their way.

BTW another solution to that console problem I will explore is using
Xming.  A guy on #git told me that startup is almost instantaneous.  And
it has all the advantages of X11, since it _is_ X11.

Ciao,
Dscho