Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 01:03 +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
[Replying to me privately -- please keep discussion on-list]

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Keith Marshall wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 05 December 2007 02:04, Cesar Strauss wrote:
> > > I can't see anything obviously wrong with your setup, other than
> > > rxvt doesn't work...
> >
> > RXVT has been a `Right Royal Pain in the Posterior', for as long as
> > I can remember.
>
> IMHO it would be better to fix Rxvt

It is easy to express such an opinion, but are you volunteering to put
in the necessary effort to achieve that?  If `yes', then I look forward
to testing the fruits of your labour; if `no', then why do expect others
to expend such effort, when those who have tried in the past have come
to the conclusion that such an ideal may be unachievable?

> than to point to half-assed "solutions".

No one has done any such thing.  There are two officially supported
methods of running the MSYS shell:--

1) In a native Woe32 console.  This is the only one of the two which is
   truly robust; it has always been available, and is the default choice
   for Cygwin, but not for MSYS.  In a recent poll, on this list, those
   who bothered to respond were unanimous that it should also become the
   default for MSYS.

2) In an RXVT.  Currently the default, but has always been beset by
   problems.  Earnie, who originally chose to make it the default, and
   who did not vote in the poll, devoted a lot of effort in trying to
   fix it, before eventually conceding defeat.

In addition to these, it has been suggested that the Console-2 project
may be worthy of consideration.  Users are welcome to explore that
option for themselves, but I don't think it should be bundled as a
standard option for MSYS, for the reasons I've already stated.

Regards,
Keith.