Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] forking issue on Windows XP?

On 2007-12-02 00:02Z, Thom DeCarlo wrote:

> I've been away from MinGW/Msys for a while, but have a reason to use it
> again. Unfortunately, the requirement is to run the applications without
> the whole bash shell stuff. The customer wants to use just a few
> commands (tar, gzip, sleep, rsh, and a few others) from a Windoze
> command terminal. For example, the tar program will be executed from
> within a *.bat file.

I expect they'll run into problems...

> Is this possible? I've tried copying tar.exe and msys-1.dll to an
> otherwise empty folder and ran "tar --help" and got nothing. I also
> cd'ed to c:\msys\1.0\bin and tried the same thing with the same result.
> Hopefully, it is just that I need to add something to my Windoze $path.

...and surprises with absolute paths, too, because MSYS mounts
its own filesystem. Why not use native ports instead?

http://www.google.com/search?q=gnu+tar+gzip+native+windows+ported

I assume you've explained to the customer that it would be
less masochistic to switch to a real shell.