Web lists-archives.com

[Mingw-msys] Apache + mod_perl

On Sunday 02 December 2007 00:02, Thom DeCarlo wrote:
> I've been away from MinGW/Msys for a while, but have a reason to use
> it again. Unfortunately, the requirement is to run the applications
> without the whole bash shell stuff. The customer wants to use just a
> few commands (tar, gzip, sleep, rsh, and a few others) from a Windoze
> command terminal.

Well, I guess there's no accounting for poor taste :-)

> For example, the tar program will be executed from
> within a *.bat file.

Hmm.  Isn't this precisely how msys.bat starts up the shell, in the
first place?

> Is this possible? I've tried copying tar.exe and msys-1.dll to an
> otherwise empty folder and ran "tar --help" and got nothing. I also
> cd'ed to c:\msys\1.0\bin and tried the same thing with the same
> result. Hopefully, it is just that I need to add something to my
> Windoze $path.

Yes.  It is possible.  I think, however, that you do need to set up an
appropriate directory hierarchy.  IIRC, the MSYS executables must go in
a `some/path/bin' directory, together with msys-1.dll, and you must
also have the `some/path/etc' directory present, even if empty.  It's
probably also a good idea to add that `some/path/bin' directory to the
Windblows PATH.

Sorry, I can't be more explicit at present; I use only GNU/Linux at
home, and I will not be back in my office until Friday.

HTH,
Keith.