Web lists-archives.com

Re: FW: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

On Nov 1, 2007 10:20 AM, Keith Marshall
<keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 02:42 -0400, Brandon Van Every wrote:
>
> > That would seem to make /mingw an unreasonable default.
>
> The pre-compiled packages we provide, as contributions to the MinGW
> Project, are for the most part intended to complement MinGW; thus it is
> perfectly reasonable for us to assume that MinGW will be installed.

I meant "/mingw is unreasonable as a default for CMake."  Just because
someone's building CMake under MSYS doesn't mean they're using MinGW.
In a POSIXy environment, I also think it is better for CMake to follow
POSIX and GCS conventions, like the Autoconf crowd does, rather than
MinGW conventions.

> > It's not GCS either.  Autoconf doesn't default to /mingw, it defaults
> > to /usr/local.
>
> So what?

So the sensibilities of the Autoconf crowd are important to us, if
we're not doing %ProgramFiles%.  They're the main crowd we're trying
to convert to CMake.  I know it may be heretical to say so, but most
people think the point of MSYS is to be able to run Autoconf
./configure scripts.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every