Web lists-archives.com

Re: FW: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 02:04 -0400, Brandon Van Every wrote:

> > >  Build configuration is stated to be its raison d'etre.
> >
> > Agreed, this is badly worded; a case of trying to say too much in
> > too few words.
>
> It is, however, consistently and repeatedly worded in every place in
> the MSYS project.  I agree that it "could be" worded otherwise, but do
> you speak for the MSYS project?

Yes.

> If so, then you could change the text in all of those places for
> clarity.

I can, and I will.  I posted the proposed alternative wording here, not
merely for your benefit, but...

> If not, perhaps you should discuss the MSYS mission statement with the
> other principal developers.

...to allow these very people, together with those who do routinely
*use* MSYS, an opportunity to comment, before I make the change.

> I'm still interested in which kind of developer is dominant:
> - people who always work within the MSYS environment
> - people who do their builds and then leave the MSYS environment

In this regard, I can speak only for myself.  In my day job, I
administer a production control system, where *none* of the servers or
workstations are used for software development.  All of these have MSYS
installed, simply because of its vastly superiour shell scripting
capabilities, when compared to the native offering; none but the
workstation on my own desk has MinGW installed.

> It would be nice to get more views on that from more MSYS developers.

Sure, but I can't force them to speak up.  However, I would expect the
majority of subscribers to an MSYS specific list to actually use it on a
fairly routine basis.

Regards,
Keith.