Web lists-archives.com

Re: FW: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

On 10/25/07, Keith Marshall <keithmarshall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [1] Unofficially, I'd say "why not just do a `mkdir -p /usr/local', and
> install there anyway"?  The consensus viewpoint has always puzzled me,
> in this respect--I really don't like polluting the /mingw tree, with
> non-MinGW user added applications, but I can understand and accept the
> arguments in favour of doing it that way.

It occurs to me, if the point of MSYS is to provide a POSIXy build
environment, why assume that MinGW is even installed?  MSYS doesn't
require MinGW for its operation.  That would seem to make /mingw an
unreasonable default.  What if we're using other C/C++ compilers, or
other programming languages?

/usr/local strikes me as "more normal" or "more POSIX."  What's so
POSIX about a /mingw directory?  Looked at that way, it's downright
weird.

It's not GCS either.  Autoconf doesn't default to /mingw, it defaults
to /usr/local.

I think we should choose either /usr/local or %ProgramFiles%.  But not /mingw.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every