Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Mingw-msys] How do I recreate the MSYS distribution?

On 2007-10-23 14:33Z, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> However, there have been some requests that CMake use /usr/local as a
> default install location on msys.  I have some issues with this, as
> CMake will have to figure out where /usr/local really is on the windows
> file system, but that can be done.   CMake is a native windows
> application and does not link to the msys run time, so to figure out
> where /usr/local is it would have to parse the fstab.  The big question
> is should it be done?  The strongest argument for using /usr/local as
> the install location, is that autotools based projects use /usr/local as
> the default install location.

Common advice on this list is to override 'prefix' with:
  ./configure --prefix=`cd /usr/local && pwd -W`
which yields some string like this:
  C:/msys/1.0/usr/local
See, for example, this detailed discussion:
  http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-What%27s-a-%22MSYS-app%22--p12899758.html
of the problem it solves, and of issues it may create.

I'd suggest that CMake not do extra work to support a default
that's likely to be overridden, especially because the most
common idiom for overriding it isn't universally optimal.