Three avenues to rescind GPLv2 property. RAP strategy added.
- Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 00:38:58 +0000
- From: missingterms@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Three avenues to rescind GPLv2 property. RAP strategy added.
Here's a case in NY where a Software distributor agreement violated New York's Rule Against Perpetuities McAllister Software Systems, Inc. v. Henry Schein, Inc., No. 06-0093, 2008 WL 922328 (E.D. Mo. April 2, 2008)
So we see that atleast one court in an important* jurisdiction is applying the RAP with regards to intellectual property.
So:Attack 1: license rescission under property law (non-exclusive gratuity for which no consideration was given, and no utterances to irrevokability by grantor vis-a-vis licensee uttered, thus can be rescinded at will). Attack 2: license rescission citing no term-of-years, thus at-will licensing (until the parties no-longer agree). (This one works in the UK)
Jurisdictional attack: if defendant claims license is perpetual [Or you could simply use it as an alternative argument from the get-go]
Attack 2b: license is a nullity (void from it's inception) due to RAP.*(Wallstreet is in NY. I wonder if they use and/or modify linux kernel for anything?)
- Prev by Date: [PATCH] x86/tsc: use real seqcount_latch in cyc2ns_read_begin()
- Next by Date: Re: Code of Conduct, more attacks on Ted Ts'o
- Previous by thread: [PATCH] x86/tsc: use real seqcount_latch in cyc2ns_read_begin()
- Next by thread: [PATCH v4 0/3] Randomize free memory