[PATCH v3] NTB: switchtec_ntb: Update switchtec documentation with pre-requisites for NTB
- Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:42:55 +0800
- From: Wesley Sheng <wesley.sheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [PATCH v3] NTB: switchtec_ntb: Update switchtec documentation with pre-requisites for NTB
From: Wesley Yung <wesley.yung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The ntb_hw_switchtec driver has requirements on kernel configuration
so we add these notes to the documentation and also clean up a few
other sentences in the documentation.
Signed-off-by: Wesley Yung <wesley.yung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Signed-off-by: Kelvin Cao <kelvin.cao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Signed-off-by: Wesley Sheng <wesley.sheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Documentation/switchtec.txt | 30 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
1 file changed, 20 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
diff --git a/Documentation/switchtec.txt b/Documentation/switchtec.txt
index f788264..d6f04dcc 100644
@@ -23,7 +23,7 @@ The primary means of communicating with the Switchtec management firmware is
through the Memory-mapped Remote Procedure Call (MRPC) interface.
Commands are submitted to the interface with a 4-byte command
identifier and up to 1KB of command specific data. The firmware will
-respond with a 4 bytes return code and up to 1KB of command specific
+respond with a 4-byte return code and up to 1KB of command specific
data. The interface only processes a single command at a time.
@@ -36,8 +36,8 @@ device: /dev/switchtec#, one for each management endpoint in the system.
The char device has the following semantics:
* A write must consist of at least 4 bytes and no more than 1028 bytes.
- The first four bytes will be interpreted as the command to run and
- the remainder will be used as the input data. A write will send the
+ The first 4 bytes will be interpreted as the Command ID and the
+ remainder will be used as the input data. A write will send the
command to the firmware to begin processing.
* Each write must be followed by exactly one read. Any double write will
@@ -45,9 +45,9 @@ The char device has the following semantics:
produce an error.
* A read will block until the firmware completes the command and return
- the four bytes of status plus up to 1024 bytes of output data. (The
- length will be specified by the size parameter of the read call --
- reading less than 4 bytes will produce an error.
+ the 4-byte Command Return Value plus up to 1024 bytes of output
+ data. (The length will be specified by the size parameter of the read
+ call -- reading less than 4 bytes will produce an error.)
* The poll call will also be supported for userspace applications that
need to do other things while waiting for the command to complete.
@@ -83,10 +83,20 @@ The following IOCTLs are also supported by the device:
Non-Transparent Bridge (NTB) Driver
-An NTB driver is provided for the switchtec hardware in switchtec_ntb.
-Currently, it only supports switches configured with exactly 2
-partitions. It also requires the following configuration settings:
+An NTB hardware driver is provided for the Switchtec hardware in
+ntb_hw_switchtec. Currently, it only supports switches configured with
+exactly 2 NT partitions and zero or more non-NT partitions. It also requires
+the following configuration settings:
-* Both partitions must be able to access each other's GAS spaces.
+* Both NT partitions must be able to access each other's GAS spaces.
Thus, the bits in the GAS Access Vector under Management Settings
must be set to support this.
+* Kernel configuration MUST include support for NTB (CONFIG_NTB needs
+ to be set)
+NT EP BAR 2 will be dynamically configured as a Direct Window, and
+the configuration file does not need to configure it explicitly.
+Please refer to Documentation/ntb.txt in Linux source tree for an overall
+understanding of the Linux NTB stack. ntb_hw_switchtec works as an NTB
+Hardware Driver in this stack.