Re: [PATCH] Documentation/i2c: sync docs with current state of i2c-tools.
- Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 00:24:57 +0200
- From: Wolfram Sang <wsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/i2c: sync docs with current state of i2c-tools.
Hi, On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 02:33:42PM -0700, Sam Hansen wrote: > Currently, Documentation/i2c/dev-interface describes the use of i2c_smbus_* > helper routines as static inlined functions provided by linux/i2c-dev.h. Work > has been done to refactor the linux/i2c-dev.h file in the i2c-tools project > out into its own library. As a result, these docs have become stale. Thanks for fixing this! > This patch corrects the discrepancy and directs the reader to the i2c-tools > project for more information. Additionally, some trailing-whitespace cleanups > were made. Minor nit: Having the whitespace changes in a seperate patch is a tad easier to review. > - /* Using I2C Write, equivalent of > + /* Using I2C Write, equivalent of > i2c_smbus_write_word_data(file, reg, 0x6543) */ Maybe change to Kernel coding style comments while here? > - Not meant to be called directly; instead, use the access functions > - below. > + If possible, use the provided i2c_smbus_* methods described below in favor > + of issuing direct ioctls. Why this change? > -The above functions are all inline functions, that resolve to calls to > -the i2c_smbus_access function, that on its turn calls a specific ioctl > -with the data in a specific format. Read the source code if you > -want to know what happens behind the screens. > +The above functions are made available by linking against the libi2c library, > +which is provided by the i2c-tools project. See: > +https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/i2c-tools/i2c-tools.git/. This is fine with me. Maybe Jean has a comment on this? Kind regards, Wolfram
Description: PGP signature
- Prev by Date: [GIT PULL] chrome-platform updates for v4.17
- Next by Date: Re: [PATCH 2/2] iio: afe: unit-converter: add support for adi,lt6106
- Previous by thread: [PATCH] Documentation/i2c: sync docs with current state of i2c-tools.
- Next by thread: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/i2c: sync docs with current state of i2c-tools.