Generic DMA-capable streaming device driver looking for home
- Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:10:31 -0700
- From: Alex Williams <alex.williams@xxxxxx>
- Subject: Generic DMA-capable streaming device driver looking for home
We're writing a device driver and having some difficulty matching a
subsystem to the driver/device properties. Can anyone help with
These are some basic properties:
1) Device is used to carry generic data to/from userspace. It's a pair
of dumb streams with one sink and one source for each direction (no
addressable endpoints for the other side).
2) Data goes to/from a DMA engine in an FPGA at high throughput.
3) The driver enables userspace to queue multiple DMA-able buffers for
asynchronous, pipelined data transfer. We currently use the
videobuf2 API to provide the feature. We're not carrying video data
in general, though.
It's a piece of a software-defined radio system, and while it can carry
data from DACs/ADCs, the device is only a generic transport. It doesn't
know what data it's carrying, so neither would the driver.
Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!