Re: Migration of kwallet failed
- Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 04:22:43 +0000 (UTC)
- From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Migration of kwallet failed
Michael Schwartzkopff posted on Tue, 03 Apr 2018 21:00:23 +0200 as
> Thanks for all the hints, but nothing really helped. I tried all (!)
> existing and reasonable command line tools, I tried all reasonable
> tricks from the internet and from this list. But still I am not aable to
> decrypt my kwallet file.
> I also did not find a good descriptions of the format kwallet stores its
> data ,so I'd be able to write the decrypt program myself. I do not have
> the time to reverse engineer the file format.
> Since I need my paswords, I am willing to sponsor a command line tool
> that takes the wallet, the salt file and the password as input and dumps
> the contents of the password store. Yes, I am ready to pay money for
> this tool. Finally it has to work on my computer and decrypt my wallet.
> I'd like to see this tool beeing available as open source.
As Martin S. I'm inclined to believe that the wallet files you have must
be corrupt. Because otherwise /something/ would work with them. So
restoring from a known-good backup looks to be your best bet.
Meanwhile, there remains another suggestion I've not seen made yet, tho
honestly if nothing else has worked I'm guessing this won't either, but...
Back in the middle of the kde4 era I switched from konqueror and kmail
using kwallet to firefox and claws-mail. So these days I don't use
kwallet for anything and only have the framework installed because it's a
non-optional dep of various other kde packages I have installed,
including the plasma-desktop and plasma-workspace packages themselves.
But in the switch from konqueror to firefox I did use a firefox extension
that integrated with kwallet for a time.
Presumably it's still available, at least for older pre-webext/pre-e10s
firefox as you may still be running with an old 2014-era Ubuntu, tho I
rather doubt it made the switch to webext and thus is likely incompatible
with current firefox.
But I really do doubt it'd work in any case, because as I said, chances
are /something/ you tried would have worked by now, if the kwallet files
themselves weren't corrupt, which I suspect to be your real problem.
 It became very clear to me after some potentially security-critical
konqueror bugs weren't fixed in the timely manner befitting security-
critical bugs on an app accessing untrusted content, and based on various
kde dev comments, that they considered konqueror little more than a toy,
not a daily-driver browser kept sufficiently security-updated to use it
for untrusted content AND for online banking and other security-critical
tasks, and while I don't always agree with mozilla's decisions, unlike
google's chromium which is developed primarily has an open base for the
proprietary chrome, at least mozilla's firefox has always been freedomware
as the primary product. And kmail jumped the shark with the akonadi
integration -- email isn't rocket science and should "just work", without
me having to reset the database to recover lost mail, and without a bunch
of feature-bloat and dependencies I don't need or want in the first place.
Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman