[kde] Plasma 5 as a daily driver?
- Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:40:09 -0600
- From: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [kde] Plasma 5 as a daily driver?
With Fedora 21 about to reach its end of life, I'm trying to set up
Plasma 5 on Fedora 23, and it's proving to be ... challenging.
Here are the significant issues I've encountered in my first day or so
of working on this. Workarounds for any of these would be appreciated.
* No desktop on 2nd display - This occurs the first time that I log in
after every reboot. My second display is black; no wallpaper is
displayed, and mouse clicks have no effect, although it is possible
to move windows to the 2nd display. Logging out and logging back in
makes the desktop display properly on the 2nd display.
* Unable to set fixed konsole size - This one is known
(https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343321), but it's been more
than 9 months since this was reported, and the lack of activity in
git and Bugzilla makes me think this bug is going to be with us for a
* System Tray (or other panel widget) overlaps panel "cashew" - Having
a System Tray widget anywhere in my panel causes the right-most widget
to overlap the panel "cashew" (which isn't a cashew anymore, but I
don't know what else to call it).
* Lack of (functional) CapsLock/NumLock widget - This shouldn't be an
issue, because decent hardware should have these LEDs built in. Since
laptop manufacturers are intent on crapifying the world, however, this
is pretty much a requirement these days. The only widget I've found,
Key State, doesn't calculate its width properly; the result is yet
* Turning on the date display in the Digital Clock causes ... more
These panel overlap bugs are pretty bad. It's really hard to get the
panel set up in a usable fashion.
All in all, I find myself wondering if other people are really using
Plasma 5 as a "daily driver" (or is my usage really so different that
others aren't hitting these bugs).
Ian Pilcher arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx
-------- "I grew up before Mark Zuckerberg invented friendship" --------
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.