Web lists-archives.com

[kde] Sound problems again...

Hi all,

While I love my opensuse/kde systems dearly, sound has always been a hassle here. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all, sometimes it works half.

At the moment, I have a desktop running opensuse 13.1/KDE 4.11.5 on which youtube sound through Firefox works, but apparently nothing else. CD-playing, local music files, other-than-youtube movies trough Firefox, (e.g.
http://vimeo.com/blenderHack/stabilizerdemo) do not work.

In all these cases (including the one where sound is indeed reproduced!) kmix says there is no sound stream being played.

The sound card is a Xonar STX, which indeed is granted a tab in kmix. But the menu "Configuration->Sound configuration" shows no hardware at all, only the PulsAudio server. On the other hand, "Configuration->Select main channel" says the current mixer is Xonar, and the channel representing the main volume is the Master of the Xonar STX.

I tried to remove/re-install the Xonar with Yast (the main configuration tool of opensuse), but no luck. Testing the card from within Yast works fine, though.

Frustrating is that is *has* worked a certain time, until some upgrade (i keep the system in sync with the 13.1 repos for opensuse).

Anyone any idea?

(BTW, I also have a laptop running opensuse Factory, which behaves just the opposite: everything works, except for Firefox sound... But that's something for another thread.)