Web lists-archives.com

[kde] USB drives not being recognized by the Device Notifier

Hi all,

Currently I'm facing a problem with the Device Notifier, which doesn't show the mounted devices of my users. My scenario is a bit complex, but resuming, my aim is to have one server and multiple thin-clients connected to it and use KDE. Only the server runs KDE sessions and it creates one per user. All this works fine, but when one of these clients stick in an USB drive, even if it actually is mounted, the user can browse thru it, etc, it's not shown up on the 'Device Notifier' applet.

My KDE version is 4.3.4 (yes, I'm aware it's an old version, but due to the above explaination, which uses a very specific hardware configuration, this version of KDE is a must).

Making some tests, turns out that the USB drive is recognized by the 'udisks' tool, so if I call 'udisks --dump' I see this information related to the device:

Code:ÂSelect all
added:Â Â Â/org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/utdisk1
Showing information for /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/utdisk1
 native-path:        Â/sys/devices/virtual/block/utdisk1
 device:           251:1
 device-file:        Â/dev/utdisk1
  presentation:       /dev/utdisk1
 detected at:        Âmià 09 jul 2014 13:05:18 WEST
 system internal:      Â0
 removable:         Â1
 has media:         Â1 (detected at mià 09 jul 2014 13:05:18 WEST)
  detects change:      1
  detection by polling:   1
  detection inhibitable:  Â1
  detection inhibited:   Â0
 is read only:        0
 is mounted:         0
 mount paths:
 mounted by uid:       0
 presentation hide:     Â0
 presentation nopolicy:   Â1
 presentation name:
 presentation icon:
 size:            4284481536
 block size:         512
 job underway:        no
 usage:
 type:
 version:
 uuid:
 label:
 partition table:
  scheme:          mbr
  count:          Â1
 drive:
  vendor:
  model:
  revision:
  serial:
  WWN:
  detachable:        0
  can spindown:       0
  rotational media:     Yes, unknown rate
  write-cache:       Âunknown
  ejectable:        Â0
  adapter:         ÂUnknown
  ports:
  similar devices:
  media:
   compat:
  interface:        Â(unknown)
  if speed:         (unknown)
  ATA SMART:        Ânot available

added:Â Â Â/org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/utdisk1p1
Showing information for /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/utdisk1p1
 native-path:        Â/sys/devices/virtual/block/utdisk1/utdisk1p1
 device:           251:2
 device-file:        Â/dev/utdisk1p1
  presentation:       /dev/utdisk1p1
  by-id:          Â/dev/disk/by-uuid/25E6-DE47
 detected at:        Âmià 09 jul 2014 13:05:23 WEST
 system internal:      Â0
 removable:         Â0
 has media:         Â1 (detected at mià 09 jul 2014 13:05:23 WEST)
  detects change:      0
  detection by polling:   0
  detection inhibitable:  Â0
  detection inhibited:   Â0
 is read only:        0
 is mounted:         1
 mount paths:      Â/tmp/SUNWut/mnt/nicolas/noname
 mounted by uid:       0
 presentation hide:     Â0
 presentation nopolicy:   Â1
 presentation name:
 presentation icon:
 size:            4284481536
 block size:         512
 job underway:        no
 usage:           Âfilesystem
 type:            vfat
 version:          ÂFAT32
 uuid:            25E6-DE47
 label:           ÂUSB20FD
 partition:
  part of:         Â/org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/utdisk1
  scheme:          mbr
  number:          1
  type:           0x0c
  flags:
  offset:          24576
  alignment offset:     0
  size:           4284481536
  label:
  uuid:
On the other hand, the 'solid-hardware list' command (which seems to be the KDE's hardware control tool) doesn't list this device, which I guess is the problem. I also tried sticking the USB device to the server instead of the client, and it gets mounted and notified. So it's just the case where the user sticks in the USB drive into the thin-client and it gets mounted this way where it it's not shown.

Being stuck at this situation, I'd like to ask some questions to debug this:

1) What mechanism uses the 'Device notifier' to work? I mean, is it listening to HAL/UDEV/... and whenever something changes, it shows it up?
2) Is there a way to manually notify a storage device, so it's shown upon some user's action to force it being shown?

Any help related with this will be very appreciated.

Thanks!