Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] KDESU doesn't work again with 4.10

On 04/23/2013 12:21 AM, Dale wrote:
James Tyrer wrote:
On 04/20/2013 11:01 PM, Dale wrote:

I still use Konqueror as root too.  I have a menu item set up this way.
For command:  "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" and then I set it
to run as user root under advanced.  It works even after the upgrade and
has worked for quite a while now.

When I select the item, it asks for the root password and then opens
Konqueror with root access.  This may be a different way but maybe you
can use that as a guide.

IIUC, this is a KDE extension to the standard, or was a KDEism that
was never included in the standard.  Either way, it is not in the
standard, so I stopped using it.  I find that I can not find any
documentation for it and no longer remember the exact syntax.

Could you please post a quote from your desktop file?

I just changed mine in the K menu then put a copy on the little kicker
thingy.  I been using that since the old KDE3 days and it works fine
here.  I actually found it on the KDE website somewhere.  I just copied
the settings and command from there.

BTW, when you make changes to you KDE menu, 'desktop' files for that user are created in:

So, the changes to the 'desktop' file are KDE extensions:

So, now I need help.  I have this 'desktop' file:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
GenericName=File Manager
Name=Konqueror root

created by the menu editor. The KDESU window open, I enter the root password, click the button, the window disappears, and nothing further happens. No Konqueror and no error box.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch