Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] How to Get the Combination of NTFS-3g and Konqueror (as a file manager) to consume less CPU

Hi all,

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:18:44 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a laptop with the following specifications:

> I also have an Acer Aspire 5738DZG laptop with the following specs:
>
>     Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz. (x86-64).
>     ATI Mobility Radeonâ HD 4570 (r700)
>     15.6× 3D HD LCD Screen.
>     3 GB Memory
>     320 GB Hard Disk Drive.
>     âDVD Super Multi DL driveâ
>     Acer Nplifyâ 802.11b/g/n.

> Now, it dual boots between Windows 7 x86-64 (which I hardly use) and
> Mageia Linux 2 x86-64. Since I have a lot of space in my Windows 7
> partition, I decided to use it to store many of my music files, so
> they get stored at /media/win_d/Music/mp3 , which has this as its
> /etc/fstab
> entry:
>
> UUID=24A43690A4366488 /media/win_d ntfs-3g defaults,umask=022 0 0
>
> Now, if I view this directory using a tab of KDE-4.8.x's Konqueror in
> file manager mode (in order to select and drag and drop files to my
> media player), I see
> ntfs-3g constantly consuming roughly 18% of my CPU, which I suspect
> causes the laptop to overheat.
>
> I checked and ntfs-3g also consumes CPU if I run Âls -l
> /media/win_d/Music/mp3/Â on the command line, so
> I guess that Konqueror constantly rescans that directory for detecting
> changes.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can prevent Konqueror from consuming a lot of
> CPU this way?
>
> Also see this Linux-Israel thread for some insights about NTFS-3G:
>
> http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/pipermail/linux-il/2012-August/009501.html
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Shlomi Fish

replying to myself in the same thread, I wanted to inform everyone that after
upgrading to Mageia Linux Cauldron (the Mageia development branch that is going
to become Mageia 3), the problem has worsened. Now, mount.ntfs sometimes
consumes over 50% of CPU (27%-60%), and gam_server consumes 20%. I don't get
anything of this sort with Nautilus.

I think I'll report this problem to the Mageia bug tracker, and see if anyone
can shed any light on it.

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish