Web lists-archives.com

[kde-linux] How to Get the Combination of NTFS-3g and Konqueror (as a file manager) to consume less CPU

Hi all,

I have a laptop with the following specifications:

I also have an Acer Aspire 5738DZG laptop with the following specs:

    Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz. (x86-64).
    ATI Mobility Radeonâ HD 4570 (r700)
    15.6× 3D HD LCD Screen.
    3 GB Memory
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive.
    âDVD Super Multi DL driveâ
    Acer Nplifyâ 802.11b/g/n.

Now, it dual boots between Windows 7 x86-64 (which I hardly use) and
Mageia Linux 2 x86-64. Since I have a lot of space in my Windows 7
partition, I decided to use it to store many of my music files, so
they get stored at /media/win_d/Music/mp3 , which has this as its
/etc/fstab
entry:

UUID=24A43690A4366488 /media/win_d ntfs-3g defaults,umask=022 0 0

Now, if I view this directory using a tab of KDE-4.8.x's Konqueror in
file manager mode (in order to select and drag and drop files to my
media player), I see
ntfs-3g constantly consuming roughly 18% of my CPU, which I suspect
causes the laptop to overheat.

I checked and ntfs-3g also consumes CPU if I run Âls -l
/media/win_d/Music/mp3/Â on the command line, so
I guess that Konqueror constantly rescans that directory for detecting changes.

Can anyone tell me how I can prevent Konqueror from consuming a lot of
CPU this way?

Also see this Linux-Israel thread for some insights about NTFS-3G:

http://mailman.cs.huji.ac.il/pipermail/linux-il/2012-August/009501.html

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish