Re: [kde-linux] PCM is gone
- Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:42:50 -0500
- From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [kde-linux] PCM is gone
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 03:03:10 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there!
> After a reboot, my PCM sound device is gone, kmix no longer shows it,
> and it is no longer along the available channels in the kmix settings.
> I can control PCM with alsamixer, but I'd like to use kmix for that.
> Any idea what could be wrong?
To start debugging people should know:
* Distribution and its release.
* KDE version in use.
* Application using device and its version.
Also, there are questions that may follow if above doesn't help:
* How was missing device discovered; program complaining about, error
in the log, ...
* How was confirmed that device is missing; one program complaining
about it means that program can't find device, not that device is
Useful is to know, last action before reboot. Actions that may lead to
missing any device are usually:
* package installation, removal, updates (it can change configuration)
* configuration change by user (which is often done in a file that is
changed on program update, not in a file dedicated to user changes)
* running application that uses such device with admin attributes (which
sometimes helps to discover bugs that can't be triggered by normal
users, but makes damage in the process)
For instance I use:
* openSUSE 12.1
* KDE 4.8.4
... and this is where I have to stop, as currently all is working as
designed, but you can add more, or ask how to add more.
This message is from the kde-linux mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.