Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] icon not showing in K menu

On 05/28/2012 12:17 PM, Jethro Tull wrote:
I'm using Slackware 13.37 with KDE 4; I wrote a script for this
software to make a Slackware package in which I specified the
sub-menu .menu file to be placed in
/etc/kde/xdg/menus/applications-merged/ and the icon for this
sub-menu in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/categories. There is one
application in this sub-menu. I placed its icons in
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps,
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps and
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps. At the end of the installation
 the script runs these programs to update menus and mime:
/usr/bin/update-desktop-database -q usr/share/applications
/usr/bin/update-mime-database usr/share/mime
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache usr/share/icons/hicolor

Icons nevertheless do not show up in the K menu for the software
sub-menu entry and also for the application in that sub-menu. But
they both do in the K menu editor in the "General tab". Some other
entries in the software sub-menu using the icon "utilities-terminal"
have their icon showing up as normal. The problem is the same even
after restarting the computer.

Sometimes the icon cache doesn't update.  The file (on my system) is:

    /var/tmp/<user_name>-kde4/kdecache-<user_name>/icon-cache.kcache

You can try deleting this file when you are not logged in to the KDE session.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch