Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

On 01/09/2012 09:18 AM, Duncan wrote:
James Tyrer posted on Mon, 09 Jan 2012 06:03:32 -0700 as excerpted:

I decided it was time to upgrade gcc from the 4.5 series to the 4.6
series (4.6.2), and rebuild my entire system with the new gcc but
upgrading to the new kde at the same time, so I wouldn't end up doing
it twice.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  I have to admit that I do not rebuild
everything when I upgrade the compiler.

AFAIK it used to be more or less required, especially for pretty much
anything C++, since libstdc++ changed dramatically between minor gcc
versions.  But since 4.1 IIRC they've been forward compatible but not
backward compatible.  So stuff compiled on the older gccs still works on
the newer one, but not necessarily the reverse (built on newer gcc
running on older).

This used to be the case for everything that was C++ since new versions of libstdc++ were, as you said, not compatible. It is still probably a good idea to immediately rebuild the C++ stuff, but it is no longer required.

I usually go through an upgrade stuff rather than recompiling the existing versions.

I note that one of these would be: "clucene-core-2.3.3.4" which was finally released. I checked and the current version of KDE-4.8 RC2 will build against it.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch