Web lists-archives.com

Re: [kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

On 2011/11/27 16:37 (GMT-0800) FrankK composed:

12.1 was a big disappointment! Both kde4.7 and lxde
were buggy for me. I'm back to 11.4 with kde 4.6.0.

Exactly what were the bug manifestations you observed?

With 11.4 with kde 4.6.0, I have a display after
using "nomodeset" as a kernal parameter. Also I added
the 70- file to xorg.conf.d.

Nomodeset will disable use of the Intel driver. That you don't want. The generic driver is slow, and IIRC does not support 1280x1024 if that's what you want or need to use.

There is a problem with this kde display, but I think
it's the result of the graphics driver which is more
of an openSuse matter than kde. I would like to get
some help here with my kde 4.6 display problem if
it's appropriate for this list.

Since my last post, I switched to a beefier machine
than the Compaq. I'm hoping that Felix has had some
experience with this Emachine box that has the kde
4.6 display problem.

root[501] lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics
Device (rev 03)

Both mine are (rev 01), which might make a difference.

Who made your motherboard? What model is it? (answer necessary only if the following fails)

root[502] hwinfo --gfxcard
11: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
   [Created at pci.318]
   Unique ID: _Znp.DBsAKLI2lO9
   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0
   SysFS BusID: 0000:00:02.0
   Hardware Class: graphics card
   Model: "Intel i845"
   Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
   Device: pci 0x2562 "i845"
   SubVendor: pci 0x109f "Trigem Computer Inc."
   SubDevice: pci 0x3186
   Revision: 0x03
   Memory Range: 0xf0000000-0xf7ffffff
(ro,non-prefetchable)
   Memory Range: 0xe8000000-0xe807ffff
(rw,non-prefetchable)
   IRQ: 16 (no events)
   I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
   Module Alias:
"pci:v00008086d00002562sv0000109Fsd00003186bc03sc00i00"
   Driver Info #0:
     XFree86 v4 Server Module: intel
   Driver Info #1:
     XFree86 v4 Server Module: intel
     3D Support: yes
     Extensions: dri
   Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no,
active=unknown

Primary display adapter: #11

The main problem with the kde4.6 display is the
single modeline that the display is forced to use:
1024x768@76Hz and 8 colors!

Where did this modeline come from?

Most likely you all can picture what an 8 color
display looks like in a modern graphical environment!
I think this Emachine box has all the HW capabilities
I need to run kde4.6 if I can get the beans out of
the can!

Can I get help fixing this particular display problem
here?

Save http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-i845G-gx260-1280x1024x096x24BPP-oS114.27 as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and boot without nomodeset on Grub's kernel cmdline. After booting, run 'cat /proc/cmdline' from a shell prompt to ensure that nomodeset was not applied during boot.

Note that it contains 0 modelines. It allows Xorg to calculate appropriate lines from specified HorizSync and VertRefresh if those found in EDID are inappropriate or bad or there is no EDID.

Pay no attention to the _many_ commented lines in this file. Once you have yours working, any or all the commented lines can be deleted, but if it doesn't work right, we may need to try uncommenting one or more of them to isolate your problem.

I have two openSUSE 11.4 machines with i845G video. One motherboard was made by Intel. The one I used to make and test this file was made by Foxconn, but as an OEM component in a Dell Optiplex GX260. It produces working KDE 4.6.0 @1280x1024 on both a Dell 1280x1024 LCD and a NEC CRT supporting up to 2048x1536. If this file fails for you, either you must have some kind of hardware problem that needs to be isolated and worked around, or the out of the box 11.4 needs to have some updates applied. I have no way to know which if any applied updates may or may not have enabled this to work properly on my GX260.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/